In each EU Member State, the immigration department is responsible for laws and decisions regarding immigrants and immigration. 

For EU employers looking to hire third-country nationals, dealing with the immigration department is a mandatory step. Typically, these departments grant permission for foreigners to work in a specific country. They may also handle tasks related to the registration and stay of foreign nationals. 

In this article, we provide a list of immigration departments in each EU Member State. This information is your key to successful international recruitment, helping you connect with the right authorities. 


A Quick Reference to Each EU Member State Immigration Department 


Each EU Member State has its own immigration department or governmental institution responsible for overseeing migration laws. 

For employers, understanding the role of these departments is crucial as they facilitate the legal employment of foreign workers. 

Below we examine each EU Member State’s Immigration Department, offering a quick reference to help streamline the hiring process.




If you’re interested in hiring foreign workers in Austria, you must contact the Immigration and Residence Authority. The main Immigration and Citizenship Department is located in Vienna (Municipal Department 35). You can find further information on the Federal Government’s official information website on migration to Austria.




In Belgium, the Immigration Office (IO) is the largest department of the Federal Public Service Home Affairs (FPS Home Affairs). The IO, under FPS Home Affairs, ensures the implementation of the Belgian government’s policies on migration. 




If you’re looking to hire foreign workers in Bulgaria, you should contact the Bulgarian Migration Directorate for major information. 




When hiring foreign workers in Croatia, you can contact the Department for Immigration, Citizenship, and Administrative Affairs. The Immigration Department handles an array of tasks related to the movement, stay, and work of foreigners.  




The Civil Registry and Migration Department of Cyprus deals with immigration-related issues. Additionally, it issues entry permits for work and study purposes to third-country nationals.  




In the Czech Republic, the Ministry of Interior (MOI) has immigration offices in various regions. You can find more information here.




The Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI) and the Danish Immigration Service handle tasks related to the employment of foreigners in Denmark. These agencies jointly administer the Nyidanmark website.  




For information on the employment of foreigners in Estonia, you should contact the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board.  




The Finnish Immigration Service is the authority responsible for making decisions in matters related to immigration in Finland. 




For information on the employment and stay of third-country nationals in France, you should contact the French Office for Immigration and Integration (OFII). The OFII is the exclusive government entity responsible for managing legal immigration in France.




When hiring foreign workers in Germany, you should contact the ZAV, the Central Foreign and Specialist Placement. The ZAV is a division of the German Federal Employment Agency (BA).




The Ministry of Migration and Asylum is the government entity overseeing matters related to migration and asylum policy in Greece.




The National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing operates as an entity under the supervision of the Hungarian Ministry of Interior. It performs immigration-related tasks through 7 regional directorates and 24 branch offices. 




In Ireland, the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) is the main immigration department dealing with immigration and visa matters. The INIS operates as an executive agency of the Department of Justice.




The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (Farnesina) and the Department for Civil Liberties and Immigration are responsible for immigration services in Italy.




When hiring foreign workers in Latvia, you must contact the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs (OCMA). OCMA operates under the supervision of the Minister of the Interior and is responsible for implementing the Government’s migration policies. 




The Immigration Department under the Ministry of the Interior ( is providing immigration services in Lithuania. 




In Luxembourg, the Directorate of Immigration provides several services, such as the Foreigners Department, Refugees Department, and Returns Department. Additionally, it houses a European Affairs Department and a Legal Department.




Established in 2013, Identity Malta is overseeing migration processes. This governmental agency provides public services related to civil status acts, work documents, visas, expatriate affairs, and more. 




The Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) and the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) are responsible for providing services related to international hiring in the Netherlands.  




In Poland, the Office for Foreigners serves as the central immigration department responsible for issues concerning the entry, transit, stay, and departure of foreigners.




If you want to hire foreign workers in Portugal, you need to deal with the Agency for Integration, Migration, and Asylum (AIMA). As of October 30, 2023, AIMA is replacing the former SEF (The Foreigners and Borders Service).  




The Romanian General Inspectorate for Immigration (IGI) is a public institution providing immigration services. The IGI comprises multiple directorates, departments, and regional centers at the territorial level.  




The Migration Office is a division of the Ministry of Interior of Slovakia. It provides an array of services related to foreigners’ documentation and integration. 




In Slovenia, the Ministry of the Interior and the Directorate of Internal Administrative Affairs, Migration and Naturalisation are responsible for providing immigration-related services. 




The Secretary of State for Migration is in charge of developing the Spanish migration policy. Additionally, the Provincial Aliens Affairs Offices are in charge of issuing residence and work permits.




If you want to hire foreign workers in Sweden, you will have to deal with the Swedish Migration Agency. The agency’s main responsibility is to make decisions on residency applications submitted by foreigners.  


Exploring Our Legal Section


Embarking on the journey of hiring foreign workers requires a good understanding of the legal requirements of each EU Member State. 

Our legal section stands as your exclusive repository. It offers valuable insights into the steps essential for hiring foreign workers across the EU. From work permits to visa requirements and beyond, this section helps you better navigate the international hiring process. 

For a quick and simplified overview of the hiring procedures, we also invite you to explore our Immigration Information section. 


Level Up Your Recruitment Game with VideoWorkers


If you’re looking to hire foreign workers for your EU-based company, look no further than VideoWorkers. Our recruiting platform seamlessly connects employers like you who can’t find talent in the local market with top-tier candidates spanning a wide array of industries. 

Armed with demo skill videos, VideoWorkers provides a transparent view of candidates’ capabilities. This will save you time on recruiting and help you ensure you find the best possible match for your company. 

Create your free company account with VideoWorkers and redefine your approach to hiring!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.