Are you a UK employer looking to hire from abroad? To achieve this goal successfully, it’s crucial to be well-versed in the UK Skilled Worker visa requirements. In this article, we’ll break down the basics for you.
What Is the UK Skilled Worker Visa?
The Skilled Worker visa provides a pathway for UK businesses to engage foreign individuals in qualified, skilled roles.
To qualify for this visa, applicants must obtain a minimum of 70 points by satisfying specific prerequisites, as will be explained below.
Additionally, the Skilled Worker visa offers the option for spouses, long-term partners, and dependent children to request inclusion as Skilled Worker dependents. This allows them to accompany the primary visa holder in the UK.
Typically, this visa has a duration of up to five years. Following this period, visa holders may potentially become eligible to apply for UK Indefinite Leave to Remain.
UK Skilled Worker Visa: Requirements for Employers
When hiring foreign workers in the UK under a Skilled Worker visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be approved by the Home Office
- You must have paid the Immigration Skills Charge
- You are able to pay at least the minimum wage for the type of work your future employee will perform. The minimum pay for the job is based on the highest of these three choices:
- £26,200 per year
- £10.75 per hour
- The going rate for the job
- You follow the UK rules regarding the number of hours to work per week
- The position offered must be eligible. To find out if the job is eligible for this visa, please check the table of eligible jobs
- You must provide your prospective employee with a job offer
Skilled Worker Visa: What Are the Requirements Your Prospective Employee Must Meet?
To be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa, applicants must accumulate a total of 70 points. These 70 points are divided into two categories: mandatory criteria and tradeable criteria.
Mandatory Criteria (50 points):
- A genuine job offer from a licensed sponsor – 20 points
- Speak English to the required standard – 10 points
- Job offer is at a skill level of RQF3 or above – 20 points
Tradeable Criteria (20 points):
- Salary of £20,480 to £23,039 or at least 80% of the going rate for the profession (whichever is higher) – 0 points
- Salary of £23,040 to £25,599 or at least 90% of the going rate for the profession (whichever is higher) – 10 points
- Salary of £26,200 or above or at least the going rate for the profession (whichever is higher) – 20 points
- Job in a shortage occupation as designated by the Migration Advisory Committee – 20 points
- Education qualification: PhD in a subject relevant to the job – 10 points
- Education qualification: PhD in a STEM subject relevant to the job – 20 points
Additionally, applicants must demonstrate their financial ability to support themselves.
According to the regulations, applicants need to have a minimum balance of £1,270 in their bank account at the time of application. This amount should have been continuously available for a period of at least 28 consecutive days.
Some applicants may also need to show a criminal record certificate, depending on their nationality and the position they are applying for.
How Long It Takes to Get a Decision on the Application
Now that you’ve gained a better understanding of the Skilled Worker visa requirements, let’s see how long it takes to obtain it.
Once your prospective employee has submitted the supporting documents, the competent authorities will process the application within:
- 3 weeks if the applicant is outside the UK
- 8 weeks if the applicant is inside the UK
Hopefully, this short article has addressed some common queries about the UK Skilled Worker visa.
However, if you want to learn more about the process of hiring foreign workers in the UK, make sure to explore our detailed guide. It includes the exact steps you must take to employ foreigners from abroad and provides insights into the different types of work visas available for the UK.
And, when you’re ready to find top talent for your UK-based company, try VideoWorkers. Our recruiting platform will connect you with the global professionals you’re looking for. Enhance your hiring process and find the skilled experts you need to drive your business forward.